Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

Farm1 wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
"K" wrote in message

[...]
Why do you want non-hybrid sweetcorn?

So I can save the seed and get the same variety for the next year!

I don't think it would work; as I mentioned before, I think all

sweet
corn, like all our cereals, is the product of hybridisation.

I don't think this is universally right Mike. I know that some of the
old forms of sweet corn can still be bought (at least in Oz) but I
don't know how they'd go in a cooler UK growing season (although given
that many UK gardeners seem to have access to tunnel houses etc, then
that should help it grow. The firm mentioned below has a range of
corn including Bali and Anasasi corn
http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/main.html

When I said "hybridisation", I didn't mean recently: as far as I knew,
the recognisable ancestor arose in prehistoric times, and there wasn't
a true species in the wild. In the absence of our botanist, Stewart
Robert Hinsley, I've Ggld up a scientific article, which shows I'm
wrong, but partly right!
http://sciencecareerst.sciencemag.or...storic_gm_corn
or
http://tinyurl.com/trxog

It's very interesting if you like that kind of thing: if I may dare to
summarise, maize does have a single wild ancestor, called teosinte, but
it doesn't look like maize. The ancestral mutation wasn't a hybrid,
though all our forms are its hybriid descendants, and it did suddenly
come about in prehistoric times. There was once a view that "Indian
corn" came from extinct ancestors, but that's been shown to be wrong by
modern genetic studies.

In any case, the big objection to the plan is Nick's, reinforced by
you: the virtual impossibility of ripening seed in the British climate.

--
Mike.