Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

Default Butterfly ID

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 10:57, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

Sad there's no name for it. There's a book on Madeiran wildlife and I

think
I'll send for it.
--

One of their few large native bits of wildlife is the blue pigeon which

we
have now seen twice to the irritation of one of the hotel managers who
though both a local and a walker has never seen one! there are

apparently
only a few left. Then there are their eagles which look suspiciously

like
buzzards to me but I have always been too polite to say so!

Saw the 'eagles' and agree on your ID. They look very like what we see

here
every day!

If its a small light weight book I would be interested what you think of

it.

I'll get it and then you can have a look at it when one of us goes in the
direction of the others.
BTW, thinking of your butterfly, would it be migratory? How far would it
have to migrate from/to and would that be possible for a butterfly?

I posted already that it would have been either an African Migrant
(Catopsilia florella) or Clouded Yellow (Colias crocea).

Liz