Old 13-10-2006, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default Lawnmower

Ron Hardin wrote:

Kay Lancaster wrote:
The best cuts tend to come from reel mowers -- the old fashioned push mower,
rather than rotary blades, but they won't handle long grass very well, and
usually have fixed cutting heights. IMO, if the lawn is small enough for
an electric mower to handle, it's small enough for a people-powered reel mower
(assuming a healthy owner). Quieter, too.

Since cut quality was mentioned, I don't suppose a scythe is in order, but a scythe
never bogs down, and if you like the outdoor break every day, cut a daily 10' wide swath
across the lawn, and soon the lawn is done and you get to start over.

I keep an acre cut with a scythe http://www.scythesupply.com (US, Maine)

Strangely, it winds up being much more expensive than a mower, since once you're
into it, you leave no blade untried, just out of curiosity, and looking for the perfect
one for the conditions. And then there are the accessories, stone, anvil, cross-peen
hammer ...

The grass cuts very differently in each season.

Incidentally, I think a scythe-cut lawn looks much better than a mower cut, but it's not
at all the same style.

--
Ron Hardin