Old 13-10-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default Perfect Patch seed any good?

They showed that on NBC the other morning and it got a terrible rating. Get
a bag of seed and straw.

--

BetsyB

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Michael Rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I saw an infomercial for a grass seed called Perfect Patch recently.
It claims to grow anywhere. Has anyone actually tried this? I don't
put much faith in infomercials.

Thanks,
Mike

The fact that you're asking this question makes me wonder if you've had
bad luck in the past with "normal" seed purchased locally. Based on 30+
years of observing neighbors struggling with starting grass seed, I've
concluded that people most often fail at this for the lack of one very
inexpensive set of miracle tools: Burlap and a few rocks or bricks to
hold it in place. As the others have mentioned, buy whatever seed you
think will match what you've already got. Prepare the soil nicely, apply
seed, mist lightly, and cover with burlap. The burlap achieves 3 things:

1) Keeps birds from eating the seed
2) Keeps heavy rain (and you, if you're spray-challenged) from blasting
the seed into clumps
3) Helps retain moisture in between waterings.

In a perfect world, you'd be out there with a spray bottle every 4 hours,
making sure the spot never dried completely. In the real world, you
probably have to work for a living and can't come home to mist the seed.
Burlap is the answer. Don't ask for it at Home Depot. They'll probably
point you toward the curtain department. Go to a real garden center.