Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Drakanthus

Default Cutting a Phormium?

I am relieved that I can cut it right down in view of the fact that
it is reported here to get so huge that it takes a day to move it. I
am happy with mine at its present size but unfortunately it has not
yet flowered so I won't be performing drastic surgery just yet.

Hussein

I have two. One, with a bronze leaf, flowers every year - huge flower spikes with
tiny flowers containing bright orange stamens. The other (a green leaved one) has
yet to flower. I grew both from seed ten years ago.
The bronze one is certainly a very striking structural plant. Even now, with the
flower stems dead and dried over Winter, I've still left them on the plant - they
add a certain charm to it.
It always produces lots of little black seeds - after reading your information I'm
tempted to have a go at making some coffee substitute next time!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)