Old 13-10-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Butterfly ID

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

snip
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

google for images of
"brimstone butterfly"
In Ireland (and UK) you get just one species: "the" brimstone.
No idea how many species you get elsewhere.

THe Irish Brimstones are actually slightly different.

Thanks for that, but Brimstones we get here abouts occasionally so I

know
what that looks like, so unless there are different sorts on Madeira I

do
not think its that. I had wondered about the Clouded Yellows which seem

be migratory but as I have never seen one am not sure of the size and

the
also seem to be described with more black markings than those we saw.

There is a different kind of Brimstone that is found on Madeira
It is the Madeiran Cleopatra.

Gonepteryx cleopatra maderensis

The Brimstone is Gonepteryx rhamni

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/

I think that's it, I couldn't get a decent picture from google images but
the description and location sounds spot on, many thanks, and Des my
apologies for doubting it being a brimstone!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk