Old 13-10-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough Janet Baraclough is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

I didn't mean it to sound like it wasn't possible to produce corn in
Britain that wouldn't be vialbe (given the right parent plant). I
thought rather the reverse. Given the talents of Brit gardeners and
the resource of a decent sized tunnel or green house then I though
that it should be possible. It'd probably require growing the corn in
a block and hand pollinating by shaking the silks together but the
heat provided by the housing should be enough if it was a sunny as
opposed to an overcast summer.

Sorry Fran, looks like your server missed some vital posts earlier in
the thread.

It is fairly easy to crop sweetcorn in the UK, outdoors in the open,
but variety and timing is crucial. Once it's transplanted outside
(usually June), no protection or hand pollination is necessary though I
do always grow it in blocks (for wind pollination). We just ate the last
of ours last week.

Because Britain is so far north, I can only grow varieties specially
bred to produce a crop in corn's relatively short growing season at UK
latitudes and lightlevels. Usually labelled something like "90 day" or
"Northern".

Janet