Old 13-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough Janet Baraclough is offline

Default Rosa Rugosa

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/10/06 23:50, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

My Mum tells me that during the war she used to earn a few pennies along
with other children by going out collecting bags of rosehips which were
then sent away for making syrup. I believe it was part of some national
scheme to give to children as a vitamin C supplement because of the
restricted diet.

So did mine.

I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I was
small.

So did we

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark goo.
I didn't mind the latter

The goo was probably Virol, a brand of malt extract, good source of B
vitamins. (Istr Virol also included iron but I may have misremembered
that). I love malt extract and still use it in baking an for smoothies.
Janet.