Old 13-10-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Rosa Rugosa

On 13/10/06 11:32, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/10/06 23:50, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

My Mum tells me that during the war she used to earn a few pennies along
with other children by going out collecting bags of rosehips which were
then sent away for making syrup. I believe it was part of some national
scheme to give to children as a vitamin C supplement because of the
restricted diet.

So did mine.

I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I was
small.

So did we

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark goo.
I didn't mind the latter

The goo was probably Virol, a brand of malt extract, good source of B
vitamins. (Istr Virol also included iron but I may have misremembered
that). I love malt extract and still use it in baking an for smoothies.

Virol sounds right and wasn't there something called Radio Malt? To this
day, if I have a bad cold or 'flu bug, I take something called Orovite which
has lots of Vit B in it. Three weeks on that and I'm right back on form and
it was a boon when I had glandular fever.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk