Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

Default Advice please Leylandii hedge

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .

Leylandii is still one of the most popular hedging plants, it is easy to
maintain and controllable as long as you trim it regularly, it *will*
grow 2-3 ft per yr but nothing else will touch it for growing a dense
screen quickly.

My name is Paul and I am a recovering Leylandii victim, I hope we never meet
to discuss this in person.

I don't have a problem meeting you Paul, why should I? I'm near Bury St
Edmunds if you want to visit, I have a 6' Leylandii hedge which I
maintain at that height relatively easily, many of my neighbours also
have Leylandii which are also kept at a reasonable height. AFAIK there
has only been one problem locally with a tree that got out of control
and that was cut down by its owner through his own choice, FWIW the bane
of my life is Sycamore's and I would ban them in urban settings :-)
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours, don't blame
the tool blame the user.
--
David