Old 13-10-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tina tina is offline

Default How deep should the soil be (for veg)?

Hi,

We have a northish piece of land. Its currently 1 spades depth of grit
& pebbles & then what looks like clay. We would like to have a go at
growing veg.

If I remove all the pebbles & grit (1 spades depth) & break up the
clay, mix in loads of compost & buy some soil, will it be any good for
growing veg?

Thanks for your help & advice.

p.s. I know its not a good time for growing veg but at least if you
experts think its possible I can get on with digging up all the
pebbles & preparing the soil it will be ready to go when the weather
warms up.

Its 10m by 5m in size.

Thanks