Old 13-10-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Rosa Rugosa

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message Farm1
wrote:
"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
And as bananas are now selling for from between 4 and 6 UK
pounds/kg
HOW MUCH!?! We bought them for 4lbs/UKP
at Bury St Edmunds market last weekend.

I live in Australia

Ah! Right. That does make a difference :-)

and a cyclone took out our local crop.

:-(

But on the other hand, can you get the banana equivalent of Granny
Smiths and Russets and Blenheim Orange and ... ?

Unfortunately not (or maybe in more tropical climes but not where we
live). We get the big bananas which I think are called Cavendish or
the small one's called Lady Finger which I prefer as they are sweeter.

In Britain we get
stuck with the banana equivalent of commercially grown Golden
Delicious.

:-)) We have the same trouble with apples as you have with bananas.
I've grafted a whole lot of British classic apples (6 or 9 different
grafts from memeory) onto 2 seedling apples trees and although I only
lost 1 graft, we've been plagued by drought ever since and not a piece
of fruit in sight :-((

It was about two months after tasting /real/ bananas in India before

could bring myself to eat a British banana again.

ATM, I'd settle for a good feed of Cavendish but on the greenish side.
Even the quality of the current ones is not good - too ripe for my
taste and not top quality.