Old 14-10-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default How deep should the soil be (for veg)?

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

tina wrote:
Yes it was a drive.

Well, I'm very happy to hear that the car is gone and that the drive is
being dug up!!

Things we eat & therefore would like to attempt to grow are. Carrots,
brocolli, potatoes, sweet corn (if thats possible). Peas. small
squashes, we love butternut squash, but have no idea where to start.

You've just got lots of fantastic advice - and there will be much more
to come. A good start is a diary/journal. You need to plan your plots,
see where you will grow your veg, note down ideas, advices, doodles,
stick in there images, articles and your wishes too, even if they seem
ambitious now. Stick to the choice of vegs you have to start with and
perhaps by February you'll feel you can add others, find out when to
plant them or where to sow them and next to which other crop it will
grow better as a companion plant.

You might even consider raised beds the following year if you feel your
soil is too difficult. However it might not be all clay everywhere. I
have a patch of about 2m2 in my plot which is stubornly heavy clay
whilst everywhere else it is not.

Get yourself a good book like Bob said. There's no better time to curl
up and read but during winter's evenings )

there is also a 'no dig' gardeneing system that works on a raised bed type
of thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_dig_gardening
It's an Australian idea but works elsewhere.

Leaflets etc at:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/scho...k/leaflets.htm

There was a thread about it recently, but I can't seem to find it...........
Jenny