Old 14-10-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Fighting Ring this Way

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
From my vast experience of working with people with 'qualifications',
generally the people who boast about their 'qualifications', are
generally
thick headed, and have no practical experience.

I cannot beleive you would say something like this. It's like saying
people therefore don't need education. I'd rather see some stats on
this. Post your proof Alan ;o)

Other than personal experience there is nothing I can quote, on one occasion
I was instructed to build a peice of electronic equipment using a
transformer from a catalogue, in those idys we used transforners to drive
equipment using valves and to make life easier, the valves were used in a
sort of push-pull arrangement, the transformers used to have a tapped
winding and for one half of the cycle drew power from one half of the
winding, on the other half cycle it drew power from the other half of the
winding, so the transformers were sold as eg 250-0-250 at 200 milliamps,
which meant that the output would finish at 250 volt at 200 milliamps,
having worked with these things fot a number of years I was well aware of
their capabilities, but the clever person with the 'qualifications' would
not take any notice of me, because I had not sat the same exams as he had,
so I was just an idiot!

He read the transformer details as being 500 volts at 200 milliamps, which
was double the output for the size of the thing, but, as I say, he
considered me, a common technician, to be an idiot, and would not listen, so
I built the device as he wanted, although I did make sure it went into a box
which would not take a transformer double the size as it should have been, I
passed the completed device to him and left quickly as I didn't want to be
present when it exploded, alhough I did remain within earshot, it was a very
satisfying noise!

Alan