Old 14-10-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David in Normandy David in Normandy is offline

Default Moles... Will it work?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
I try to discorage it by marking the envelope 'Not known at this address'
and stuff it back in the post, doesn't always work but it is satsfying to
think that it's being paid for by someone else, or, if it has a return
envelope, put everything back in the envelope and put it in the mail
without a stamp.

You can stop most junk mail from the larger organisations by registering
your address with the MPS - you can also opt out of most telesales calls too
via the TPS - in fact it is illegal for companies to phone you trying to
sell you stuff if you are registered with TPS - you can report them and get
them into big trouble. I worked for an organisation for a while that
processed lots of name and address information, and we had to "wash" the
databases by running software that deleted those in the MPS register. Most
of the larger organisations that send out junk mail subscribe to the MPS
service - it is in their financial interests too, since they don't want to
send mail out to people who are 100% guaranteed to bin it. Like you I hate
junk mail and telesales calls - I too used to send back items in their own
envelopes unpaid (and worse) until I discovered the MPS and TPS service. I
must be a sad git because I ended up getting so little junk mail I had
little left to get mad about :-) I used to enjoy having a bit of a rant
about such things!

Link to MPS:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

--