Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Bevan Price

Default Berberis problem - Repost

"Judy Rigby" wrote in message

Sorry to repost, but this berberis thing is bothering me, so in case
anyone kind with an answer missed it first time round, here's the
problem.

I have a well established bronze berberis. The last couple of years,
every leaf has been eaten off by late summer. I think the culprits are
caterpillars, & I've noticed berberis in other gardens around here
(north London) having the same problem. What, if anything, can I do to
prevent it happening again this year ? (Short of picking the buggers off
by hand.)
--
Judy

If it is caterpillars, just about the only alternative to picking off the
caterpillars, (or the eggs if you spot them first) is to use an
insecticide - although if you put down food in your garden to attract birds,
these might also consume some caterpillars.

Bevan