Old 14-10-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Preserving chillies

echinosum writes

Pam Moore Wrote:

Going off slightly on a tangent, I'd like some chilli advice. I have
a plant in a pot, which I grew from seed from a red chilli from the
greengrocer. It is growing well, and has 3 green chillis the size of
the parent one, but they are not turning red.
If I remove them will they ripen?
Will they dry and keep?
There are other flowers and tiny fruit which I want to develop.
This is my first time growing them.

Chillies do take several weeks to ripen. Frost will kill it, but even
if it is cool at night the chillies will eventually ripen provided they
get enough light, though further fruit will not set if it is cool. It
is enough to bring it inside and put it on a light windowsill before
the first frost. It should continue to ripen/produce chillies for at
least 6 more weeks. You can then prune it back, and with luck it will
start growing again next year, and it will then fruit earlier and be
more productive. Water modestly at this time, they naturally grow in
places with dry winters. Though it isn't guaranteed - if you had 10
plants you would probably loose at least half, especially if it is a C.
annum variety (the most common).

IME the presence of ripe or developing chillies on a plant doesn't in
any way inhibit the further development of chillies, so there's no need
to remove them on this score.

--
Kay