Old 14-10-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran[_1_] Gail Futoran[_1_] is offline

Default Pruning

"quess who" wrote in message
news
Thank you for a very informative reply. I am in Vancouver BC so I
would wait until spring to do any pruning.

You're welcome.

I "default" to the American Rose Society but a better link
for you would be the Canadian Rose Society:
http://www.canadianrosesociety.org/

Like the ARS, they have a lot of useful information and
links, much of it available to the public. I notice in their
articles on winter protection, they mention cutting back
the canes to protect them from being wind whipped. That's
something I would not have thought of. We get wind
down here, and occasionally a long cane will snap, but
it's usually not a major problem.

Anyway, it sounds like some winter pruning, although not
severe pruning, is advised.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA