Old 14-10-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bluebell bluebell is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

Well, the only one I've seen for sale here is the Anasazi; sold here
as an "ornamental" corn. AFAIK, other than the colourful looks, that's
because it's a hard kernel, like maize, and its heritage past was a
grinding-corn to make flour/porridge (which I can't see Alan H doing
:-) . So, I'm surprised to see the Aus site suggests it for eating
fresh.

Can't find anything about the Bali corn, do you know if it was a
grinding/flour one?

Stock-feed (hard) maize is farmed as an agricultural crop in England
btw, but you'd have to be truly desperate to eat it; it;s tough and the
starches don't turn to sugar in the same way as (ripe) sweetcorn.

Janet.

I have eaten it and it's not too bad, it wasnt tough but it did take a
lot of time to cook, about twice as long as usual. I like better the
shop ones but these are expensive