Old 15-10-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter[_1_] Larry Stoter[_1_] is offline

Default mushrooms

bluebell wrote:

K wrote:

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

County Wildlife Trusts often run 2 or 3 at this time of year. See
http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/ and http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/

If you aren't 100% confident in your identification, don't even try a
small piece. Some of the amanita species are seriously poisonous - they
have a two stage process which, if the doctor/hospital doesn't
understand, could leave you needing a rapid liver transplant at best!
And there are plenty of these about - I've been out in the Ashdown
Forest in Sussex and seen enough Death Caps to kill a regiment. On the
other hand, I've also picked plenty of Ceps which are definitely in the
gourmet class :-)
--
Larry Stoter