Old 15-10-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
MC MC is offline

Default chinese elm wintering

"M" wrote in message

"MC" wrote in message
This may be true but I know of somebody who has had a chinese elm on
their mantlepeice for about 6 years and it thrives.

MC

Do the leaves fall off or does it stay the same all the time?

Leaves do fall but not in vast amounts (more in the winter when there is
less light) and are quickly replaced by new growths so the tree always looks
like it has full foliage.

However, going back to the points Jim made, it really does depend on
circumstances. Some may thrive, some may "survive" and some may die. Mine
has only been on my mantlepeice for a couple of months so I cannot say what
it will be like in a further couple of months. It is loosing leaves but the
amount of new growth it has is quite astonishing and more than making up for
losses.

MC