Old 15-10-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Defending the compost bin

On 15/10/06 12:48, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

My Hero was feeding garden delicacies to a cow which was leaning over
the gate looking at us in our veggie garden.

My Hero starts to walk back to where I was and suddenly screams
"Snake!"

My Hero yells "Get back!" and races off to get a shovel.

Snake slithers towards my compost bin as I pick up a metal fence post.
I wait for the snake's head and about 12 inches of body to disappear
into the compost heap so that it can't rear back and strike at me. I
then belt snake with metal fence post and keep belting till it's still
writhing but bloodied and very broken.

My Hero comes back and asks me to tilt the comost bin so that he can
pin closer to the still writhing head. My Hero pins it about 6 inches
behind the head whilst I belt it some more.

Just as well My Hero was there to save me from this snake which would
have ended up in my comost bin where I empty the kitchen waste every
day if he hadn't been so decisive in his actions. This snake is
listed as being 4 times more venomous than a Cobra.

Yikes! I'm glad we live in Devonshire........ ;-) What a narrow escape
but a lucky one, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk