Old 15-10-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Banana plant that bears fruit

On 13 Oct 2006 12:35:00 -0700, "movul" wrote:

Hello:

I live in Vancouver, B.C. (Zone 8b). I want to grow a banana plant
outdoors in my backyard that bears fruit.

Can you give me some suggestions for what variety of banana plant I
should buy?

Thanks!!

Banana's are biennial, meaning they bloom the second year and set
fruit. However, you will never have enough heat or light up there in
Vancouver to stimulate a flower to set fruit.

Down here in Austin, TX I grow bananas, they flower after being in the
ground two seasons and the second season is when they produce. You
just don't have the conditions and if you did get them to fruit, it
would be woody and horrible.