Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Sweetcorn

The message
from "Jon" contains these words:

Hello all, new to this group. Apologies for rubbish message a few minutes
ago.....blaim 4 y.o. son.
Does anyone have any advice about growing sweetcorn? I'm thinking of trying
it in my greenhouse, but have no experience. How much space does it need?
How tall will it grow (can I control the height)? When? I'm in the south of
Scotland so there is a possability of frost for another 6 weeks say.
Any advice welcomed.

I've grown it near Loch Lomond, out of doors; some years we got a crop
and some years we had an early frost in September and got nothing.
Choose a short-season variety (it will tell you on the packet); start
the seeds in individual pots in the greenhouse about 4 or 5 weeks before
your last frost date (mine was June 6) and if they start to get potbound
before they can go outside, pot them up a size. Plant out in a block in
rich soil and water well. They like liquid nettle or comfrey feed, a
mulch around their roots, and plenty of water. You won't ripen more than
2 heads per plant so snap off any others that form.

When the cobs look well-filled, peel back a bit of the husk to see if
juicy seeds are filled up almost to the tip; if not, close it again. For
maximum taste/tenderness, don't pick them until a couple of minutes
before you cook them; which takes less time than shop-bought cobs.

Janet.