Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sweetcorn

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

... You won't ripen more than
2 heads per plant so snap off any others that form.

Perhaps 3 in Cambridge, in a good year. In a bad year, you may as
well compost the whole plant.

When the cobs look well-filled, peel back a bit of the husk to see if
juicy seeds are filled up almost to the tip; if not, close it again. For
maximum taste/tenderness, don't pick them until a couple of minutes
before you cook them; which takes less time than shop-bought cobs.

Yes, if you like the cobs when sweet and tender. If you prefer them
riper, nuttier and starchier, they take longer to cook. But it is
hard to ripen them enough for that in the UK :-(

I was brought up on maize, and so have a different viewpoint to most
people from the UK. Dammit, I even like mealie meal porridge, and
that makes most people from these islands gag :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679