Old 15-10-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Saving the seeds from a squash?

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote ...

We inherited a fresh squash from a friend who was given it by a friend. We
had never tasted squash before and duly roasted and ate it with Sunday
dinners. It was delicious.

I have never grown squash before, but many other veg. succesfully. Are the
seeds I have saved from the said squash likely to be suitable for planting
next year and so being sure of producing the same variety (about 30cm /
1ft long and pale brown in colour?

If so, are there any special considerations I should make when storing the
seeds and planting them - presumably initially in pots, in the greenhouse,
next spring?

Sounds like a Butternut Squash to me, slightly bulbous one end and that's
where the seeds are? Lots of good orange flesh to roast and so sweet after
cooking.
I saved seeds from commercially grown fruit many year ago and got good
plants/fruit the next year, but that was because they were probably in a
large field of the same plant and any cross pollination was done within the
field. Saving a seed from a plant grown next to other different
squashes/cucurbits could easily result in something completely different.
Buy some proper seed to be sure, I intend to.

--
Regards
Bob H