Old 15-10-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Can anyone identify this plant?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 15/10/06 18:12, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 15/10/06 12:26, in article ,

"Jax"
wrote:

snip It has dark brown bottle
brush
like " spikes/flowers". The more mature fronds also seem to have pale

brown
seeds on the outside of the "bottle brushes". The less mature emerging

baby
bottle brushes are soft and slilky and very dark brown. As they mature

they
fatten up and become slightly more spikey. The leaves are long and

quite
broad and are green with a slight purply tinge.

snip

Try looking at Google images of Penniseum setaceum rubrum and Pennisetum
glaucum. We have these outside in pots and they're tall but sound

somewhat
similar to what you're describing. It might be those when young or
some
kind of relative in the millet family. The two we have are not hardy.
--

If its not that, try looking up images of Restios (sort of South African
cross between grass and bamboo) there are lots of different sorts.

Clever you. I bet that's it. Does it 'do' with you?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

On description I think it is probably pennisetum or Restio:-)
Your comment about the Pennisetum setaceum not being hardy made me wonder if
the ones I have are misnamed because they strut their stuff every year (in a
very well drained open position)?