Old 16-10-2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ed Ed is offline

Default Adding a new greenhouse

OK, our 125+ mature orchids are overflowing our attached sunroom, so we are
considering a 10' x 12' polycarbonate greenhouse for the backyard. I plan to
keep my paphs and phrags as well as the Vandas and warm types in the
sunroom, but would like to move my phals, blc, lc, dendrobiums, etc into the
new greenhouse. We will be growing some veggies and other plants in there as
well.

I live in Lexington, Kentucky. Our winters are "fairly" moderate, with some
days in January or February sometimes into the 50's. However, we also get a
LOT of days below freezing, into the teens on occasion. The coldest days
also have the brightest sun. Very little snow, maybe 6-8" a year.
I am probably going to use electric heat as well as heat cables for
propagation trays I have read several greenhouse books, but have found
nothing to pedict heating costs? My target is to keep night temps in the
greenhouse at 60 degrees.

I have no experience with greenhouse culture, so I could use all the advise
the group is willing to share.

Thanks,

Ed