Old 16-10-2006, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Can anyone identify this plant?

On 15/10/06 23:31, in article , "Jax"
wrote:

Try looking at Google images of Penniseum setaceum rubrum and Pennisetum
glaucum. We have these outside in pots and they're tall but sound
somewhat
similar to what you're describing. It might be those when young or some
kind of relative in the millet family. The two we have are not hardy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Hi Sacha

What beautiful grasses, Penniseum setaceum rubrum, but not these. I
actually have a pot with some of this grass in but it doesnt look as nice!

The "heads" of this plant are much thicker and look as thick as the millet
stalks you buy for budgies cages. They arent floppy fronds. but upright and
slightly prickly when they are mature. Just imagine short bullrushes except
when you get close the heads arent the close dense texture of bullrush
heads. The plant seems to like sunny dryish place where I planted it. I
have never seen anything like it ever before.

So we know/think it's almost certainly a millet, which was as my husband
suggested. I think your best bet is to ask the shop. They must know what
they order, after all!