Old 16-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Farm1 wrote:
All corn/maize can be eaten if it is young enough. The problem

with
most corns is that they are often eaten too old.

What do you mean? Do you mean one would buy it and forget about it

or
the 'sweet yellow corn' we all know about is old when on sale?

It would be very rare to find a sweetcorn that isn't too old when
sold. Still edible but barely IMHO.

Earlier in the thread, an American wrote about how if you picked the
cob and then fell over on the way to the kitchen to throw out the cobs
and pick more. Although it's was a joke, it's fairly accurate.

I've once bought a variegated bunch of corns, for display in my
kitchen. I thought at first I could perhaps try to grow it but

realised
it had been coated, for preservation I suspect. I wonder why we do

not
eat all the incredible varieties of corn that there is in America,
notably the variegated one and hundreds more which are so so much

more
beautfiful and appetizing than a yellow one and which have amazing
names.

Probably for the reasons Janet and others have outlined. Britian can
be uncertain for heat conditions for a long enough growing season and
light levels may be too low for other than locally bred seed. And
that stinking humidity of the south of England may also be a factor -
corn grows best in hot dry climates. Mind you, if the Bali corn I
mentioned is truly from Bali, then it would cope with humidity.