Old 16-10-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default How deep should the soil be (for veg)?

"tina" wrote in message

Would you advise me to remove all the pebbles first before digging
into the clay to mix in the pebbles or a trench at a time. (the

clay
looks rock hard) :-(

Water it and wait a few days then go back and have another go at it
when it's dried out a bit.

p.s. I'm going to mix in compost from my 3 compost heaps. What mix
would you use? Equal amounts of clay, pebbles & compost or something
else?

Pile it in and nay more you can get your hands on.

Off for a nice soak in the bath now to sort my blistered palms out &
aching back.

Sounds like you might have overdone it. :-(( Little and often works
just as well and if you do yourself some real damage you won't be able
to get back into it for ages. Be kind to yourself.