Old 16-10-2006, 05:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Pruning Holly

"Sacha" wrote
, "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote:
"JennyC" wrote
I have this straggly variegated holly tree that needs something doing
with
it to bush it out. it's about 6ft tall but very 'ratty' looking. When is
good time to prune it hard - now or spring??

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)

Did you mean tatty looking? Perhaps it's looking ratty cos it knows it is
about to be butchered:-) Prune holly anytime that suits you. It will
resprout with a vengeance. If you chop them down totally they resprout
from
the base with multiple shoots and form a nice pyramidal effect.

My only reservation would be "does it have berries on it that you want for
Christmas?" If not, do as you wish to it. They seem to be such thugs
that
very little upsets them.
Sacha

Not many berries, but the trimming will be good for arrangements at Xmas.
Will wait till then :~)
Jenny