Old 16-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Sedum

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was
difficult to get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.

Is this true?

I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on
their garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but
I was going to put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the sides a
bit, fill it with compost and plant sedum and maybe some alpines
etc, in a Norwegian stylee. You can't walk on the roof, it's asbestos or
similar, so I can't be
weeding it either. I understand that I can put chicken wire over the
top which stops certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that
would be ugly in the extreme.

Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very
welcome.

Thank you

Clueless Unc

I think your problem will be the weight loading,particularly on
something like an old and brittle substructure.
These people tell you more about how it should be done and loadings.
http://www.enviromat.co.uk/pages/app...sanddesign.htm

I see that. 42kg/sq.m. is heavy. I was envisaging something much, much
lighter,by using a much thinner layer of compost. Perhaps sedum isn't the
right thing. I know things like alpines (the ones I used to use in the pond
system) are incredibly light though.

The supports are 6x4 at the moment which should easily take that, but I may
consider re-roofing if I can get someone to de-asbestos it cheaply enough -
you need a special licence now to do it.