Old 16-10-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Sedum

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was difficult

get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.

Is this true?

I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on their
garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I was going

put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the sides a bit, fill it with
compost and plant sedum and maybe some alpines etc, in a Norwegian stylee.

You can't walk on the roof, it's asbestos or similar, so I can't be

weeding
it either. I understand that I can put chicken wire over the top which

stops
certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that would be ugly in the
extreme.

Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very

welcome.

The basic pricinple and method of Sedum roofs is described on here
plus a list of suitable plants at the end -

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg38.php

You're not actually restricted to sedums. Housleeks are another
possibility as they're hardy succulents as well. Sempervivium tectorum
and sempervivum arachnoideum etc.

A supplier of at least three sedum species plus houseleeks and
other suitable alpines might be

http://www.plantsbypost.co.uk/list.asp?CAT=10

However -

Alpines are o.k providing they have good drainage in winter.
Presumably for this, the roof needs to be sloping and not flat.
A completely flat roof would present problems I imagine.
The above site while not actually mentioning this point
lays great emphasis on having a drainage layer.

michael adams

Thank you

Clueless Unc