Old 16-10-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Sedum

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
this in , I, Marvo, say :

Excellent idea to de-asbestos. You do not need a licence to DIY on
your own property. It is a simple process and there are many web
sites that give exact instructions how to do it.
Most local councils have a section on asbestos removal and where
to take it. I am just about to remove a roof from my niece's
garage following the rules of Bradford Council. Safety masks etc
and polythene sheet will cost about £100. If you follow the
standard procedure and assume that the asbestos is the nastiest
form then you will do as good a job as the professional firms who
do have to be licensed and controlled.

That's very handy advice. I have masks etc at work which I can
borrow.

I'm perusing the instructions ...

Thanks a lot for that info.

Er, what if anything, is underneath the asbestos ?

Might you not end up, having to put an entirely new roof on ?

Moulded asbestos sheet, at least the stuff with strengthening ridges
moulded into it, as with corrugated asbestos is often self
supporting I believe.

There is nothing underneath. It is corrugated. But I wouldn't walk
on it, it doesn't look like it will support my weight.

Sorry you've already mentioned possibly re-roofing it which I'd
missed.

So presumably the corrugations run down the slope ?

And as this asbestos roof is already waterproof presumably, why were
you thinking of using an expensive rubber membrane ? And in any case,
in the absence of UV light, being buried under soil, any old plastic
sheeting would suffice if a waterproof barrier was all that was
required.

Is this roof an inverted V or a sloping flat roof ?

Sloping flat. It isn't waterproof because the bolt used to put it onto the
bearers leak. To seal them means taking them out and resealing which is a
nightmare. Hence the membrane which doesn't have to be too thick.
Alternatively I could put some corrugated plastic on top if it was the same
"pitch".