Old 16-10-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Sedum

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was difficult to
get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.
Is this true?
I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on their
garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I was going to
put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the sides a bit, fill it with
compost and plant sedum and maybe some alpines etc, in a Norwegian stylee.
You can't walk on the roof, it's asbestos or similar, so I can't be weeding
it either. I understand that I can put chicken wire over the top which stops
certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that would be ugly in the
extreme.
Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very welcome.

Hullo Uncle. I'm sending you this link to start with - so that you can
also consider a grass roof which would be ideal as the maintenance is
pretty minimal. And it happens to be a project we are still
considering, not the roof but the house, a segal house (instead of a
boat possibly) ...

http://www.segalselfbuild.co.uk/arti...gagreenro.html

And this evening I'll post you some details of the different layers my
mate used for the green roof she made at Reddish Vale, on top of two
shipping containers brought together. She used lots of sempervivens, in
its second year and looks marvelous.