Old 16-10-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Sedum

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:26:55 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On 16/10/06 14:19, in article
, "Martin"
wrote:

On 16 Oct 2006 06:08:45 -0700, "La Puce" wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was
difficult to get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior
variety.
Is this true?
I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on
their garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing,
but I was going to put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the
sides a bit, fill it with compost and plant sedum and maybe some
alpines etc, in a Norwegian stylee. You can't walk on the roof,
it's asbestos or similar, so I can't be weeding it either. I
understand that I can put chicken wire over the top which stops
certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that would be ugly
in the extreme.
Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be
very welcome.

Hullo Uncle. I'm sending you this link to start with - so that you
can also consider a grass roof which would be ideal as the
maintenance is pretty minimal. And it happens to be a project we
are still considering, not the roof but the house, a segal house
(instead of a boat possibly) ...

http://www.segalselfbuild.co.uk/arti...gagreenro.html

Did I miss the bit about the potential for the roof to collapse under
the weight when it is waterlogged?

Or how to cut the grass when it has grown?

That's the bit that worried me. I believe that's why sedum or similar are
used, cos you don't need to. I expect there's a way to stop grass

growing.

The roof caves in first?

The best way I have found is to *want* it to grow ...

I'd be more worried about putting a heavy weight on an asbestos roof,
for the same reason that you can't walk on it.
--

Martin

If the corrugations run down the slope i.e. across the short span
then there's no saying that he couldn't walk on it.

Although there's only one sure fire way to find out.

michael adams