Old 16-10-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
perrancott perrancott is offline

Default Do weeping willows sprout again if cut down?

Martin wrote:
On 16 Oct 2006 08:23:17 -0700, "perrancott"
wrote:

I have a weeping willow in my half acre garden. I believe that it is
at least 12 years old. It is about 6m high and growing in a boggy part
of the garden. An arborist from the local agricultural college told me
that its roots are not a problem because it is lower down the hill from
the building and 18m away. This puts its crown right in line with the
view. I would like to open up the view but would like to keep a willow
or something similar there to soak up the water.

If I were to cut the tree down would it resprout and would the new
shoots weep or grow straight? I am considering taking a course on
willow weaving. Would the shoots be useful for this?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

You could coppice it.
http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handboo...nt/chapter/798
--

Martin

Yes I was considering coppicing but wonder whether the shoots would
grow straight up. Would the roots stay small or could they spread
beyond the height of the coppiced shoots?

Perrancott