Old 16-10-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Craig Craig is offline

Default Winter squash question - When to pick

On Oct 16, 7:07*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
..I always pick mine based on color. Cut the stems carefully, leaving
maybe an
inch or so on the squash. Your climate's about 2 weeks ahead of mine
(Western NY). Pick them now if they look right. There *is* a thumbnail test,
but it involves slightly puncturing the skin, which does NOT help any
vegetable last longer. And, if the squash freeze outdoors, they often become
messy once they defrost.-

Okay, I will pick most of them tonight.
What about the butternut squash that are almost at the right color
but not quit yet, if I pick them do they ripen off the vine in the
house or should I leave them out and just cover them at night.

Craig