Old 16-10-2006, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Don[_1_] Don[_1_] is offline

Default problem Willow

"Loren" u27944@uwe wrote in message news:67ddd425d38ac@uwe...
This past winter, I removed a problem willow tree that was blowing so
badly
it threatened my house should it decide to fall. Shortly thereafter, I
built
a low deck, whose corner covers most of the stump to within about 10
inches
of the top of what remains (which was about 18" high). I have removed
trees
before and stumps have just stayed that way - stumps. Willows, however
appear to be a little more resilient than say, cedars or firs.

The willow has continued to grow despite my desire that it not, and I have
dozens of new starts from the stump shooting up through and around my new
deck. I have tried digging up the portions of the stump that I could
reach
and severing them from the roots, but that has been ineffective. I keep
cutting them down every couple of weeks, but woudl like to find a more
permanent solution.

What I need to do is find a way to kill the willow - roots and all.

If anyone is familiar with this problem, or just knows of somethign that
will
kill a large former tree, I would be very interested in hearing what you
have
to say.

Thanks

have you tried roundup on the tender new shoots?