Old 17-10-2006, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default problem Willow

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message

Loren wrote:

This past winter, I removed a problem willow tree that was blowing so
badly
it threatened my house should it decide to fall. Shortly thereafter, I
built
a low deck, whose corner covers most of the stump to within about 10
inches
of the top of what remains (which was about 18" high). I have removed
trees
before and stumps have just stayed that way - stumps. Willows, however
appear to be a little more resilient than say, cedars or firs.
The willow has continued to grow despite my desire that it not, and I
have
dozens of new starts from the stump shooting up through and around my new
deck. I have tried digging up the portions of the stump that I could
reach
and severing them from the roots, but that has been ineffective. I keep
cutting them down every couple of weeks, but woudl like to find a more
permanent solution.

What I need to do is find a way to kill the willow - roots and all.
If anyone is familiar with this problem, or just knows of somethign that
will
kill a large former tree, I would be very interested in hearing what you
have
to say.

Thanks

I found this:

the stump can be killed as follows: Bore holes at a slanting angle around
the top of the stump. The holes should be about one and one-half inches in
diameter and from eight to ten inches deep.

Just how are we drilling holes that size these days ?

Electric drill with a 1" auger bit. Willow is a soft wood anyway. I've
drilled 1" holes in a 36" dia. Elm stump with a Ryobi 18 volt cordless.
I had to change the batteries more than usual, but it worked.

Fill them with salt peter (nitrate of potash) or a commercial stump-killing
product. The material will spread through the stump and prevent sucker
growth from appearing. If the stump has green foliage growth on it now, you
can apply a Blackberry Vine or Brush Killer to the foliage as a first step.
Be sure this material does not touch any desirable vegetation, except the
plant suckers you are trying to destroy. Read and follow label
instructions.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY