Old 17-10-2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller Treedweller is offline

Default best spot weed killer

On 16 Oct 2006 16:43:28 -0700, "raycruzer"
wrote:

Has anyone else lost a tree to a broadleaf killer?

If you're trying to get rid of crabgrass in your lawn, will
weed-be-gone work?

---

I'm taking that as doubt that herbicides harm trees. I have provided
a number of links below to support the statements I made previously.

If you read through the links, you will likely notice that, as others
have said, most herbicides will not harm trees if used properly. That
raises two points:

1. even people who make mistakes often think they are doing everything
right. When an amateur gardener applies chemicals, it is more likely
he will overlook a simple mistake.

2. you want to be careful that you don't use one of the "other"
herbicides.

I have seen trees damaged by weed-n-feed. I have heard it mentioned
at many lectures in tree conferences as a common cause of tree damage
or death. I have read about it in industry journals and texts. I
stand by my earlier statement: use them at your own risk. But, of
course, if you choose to use them, follow the instructions carefully.

the links:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG249
"Fertilizer mixes that contain weed killers should be used sparingly,
if at all, within the root zones of trees because the weed killer
could harm the tree."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...lmother-c.html
"Injury can be by direct herbicide contact or through uptake by the
roots, causing browning, curling, and dying of leaves. Leaves may also
be stunted, leathery, and/or contain irregular growth patterns."

http://cipm.ncsu.edu/ent/Southern_Re.../OPM/chap3.htm
"Environmental contamination and injury to nontarget plants can occur
occasionally when all normal precautions are taken. However, such
contamination and injury are more common when pesticides are
mishandled or applied under improper conditions."

http://www.plantanswers.com/garden_column/mar03/4.htm
"Most broadleaf herbicides kill trees as well as weeds and are able to
move readily through the soil. Pramitol, a non-selective herbicide
commonly applied to gravel driveways and beneath above-ground pools,
will kill trees at a considerable distance from where it is originally
applied."

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/rams...eral/weeds.htm
"SPRAY ONLY THE WEEDS AND DO NOT ALLOW THE HERBICIDE TO DRIFT ONTO THE
TREES AS DAMAGE WILL OCCUR."

http://www.blackburnnursery.com/tips/herbicides.htm
"Trees often recover from exposure to the first group (compounds used
to kill broadleaf weeds). The leaves will become distorted and will
often drop, but depending on species and dosage, the trees will appear
normal in about 2 years. However, death can occur if the dosage is
high."