Old 17-10-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze[_1_] Snooze[_1_] is offline

Default New poster, new pond design

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks, I'd like to run this perliminary design past of few of the
experts.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on usenet.

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/Design1.htm
Couple of questions:

Should I feed the veggie filter completely across the bottom or can I
expect water to flow through it from left to right?

It appears in the drawing that you intend to feed the veg filter from the
left, and discharge from the right, so the water will slowly flow in that
direction. And actually that's a better way, because it forces the water to
spend more time in the veg filter, which allows the plant roots to assist in
filtering suspended particles. Especially water hyacinth roots.

Should I have 2 falls from the upper level of veggie filter into the
lower marsh plant area?

Personal choice, a single large fall makes more noise, the water fall serves
2 purposes, the first being cosmetic, the second being increasing the
ammount of water that's exposed to the air.

When pulling water from the skimmer and bottom drain at the same time,
is that normally a 50/50 ratio?

I think you're being too detail oriented here, go half and half, with the
ability to close off either side. If you draw from the bottom drain, you can
suck up all the mulm and filter it into the bio filter or veg filter, where
it's easier to clean up. I don't have a skimmer, and just draw from the
bottom, it works fine for me.

-S