Old 17-10-2006, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Weeds

"La Puce" wrote in message Farm1 wrote:
I've always liked dandelions and have always left them in the

garden
(and I'm interested in the hstory of food and in self sufficiency

so
they also get a thumbs up with me for that aspect).

Oh. My heart just jumped ) As a kid, I spent days picking them for
the rabbits. I had my own knife and I thought it was a grand job.

All
the guineas pigs and rabbits we've had as pets here got the same
treatment. But not entirely the same ending, since they were pets

Budgerigars like them too.

Mu husband hates them and keep spreading them by trying to dig

them
out (I don't tell him he's really multiplying them :-)) so I was
delighted to show him the picture from "The Garden at Highgrove"

where
Prince Charles has them in his wildflower meadow.

I keep some, especially at the front of my plot, but I have to be
careful - I once was told some plot holders didn't like them and I
could get into trouble if I didn't get rid of them. Now it's the job

of
my youngest to pick them up. He only take off the heads to keep the
neighbours happy. However, I don't know how much you get in your
climate (not sure which part of oz you're in, I've seen plots here
entirely covered in them. It's pretty, but it's a big job to get rid

of
them all.

We have far worse weeds and the dandelions aren't too numerous so I
leave them.