Old 17-10-2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default New poster, new pond design

default wrote:

Hi folks, I'd like to run this perliminary design past of few of the
experts.

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/Design1.htm

Should I feed the veggie filter completely across the bottom or can I
expect water to flow through it from left to right?

Should I have 2 falls from the upper level of veggie filter into the
lower marsh plant area?

These two questions have a single answer. If you have the input on the
left, then you want the _only_ output on the right. If you have inputs
across the whole filter, you should have falls on both sides. I would
recommend you only have the input on the left and the falls on the right,
to make the water take the longest path possible through the filter.

When pulling water from the skimmer and bottom drain at the same time,
is that normally a 50/50 ratio?

I think not - but it depends very much on your location (and time of year).
In the fall, if you get lots of leaves, you'll want your skimmer working
harder. In an open area with very little wind-blown debris, your skimmer
may only need a very small flow. You will want to take most of the water
from the bottom drain - in the end, that's where most of the crud ends up.
--
derek