Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Johanna

Default birdies

In article ,
says...
In article , Nutter
writes
"Fredie" wrote in message
I have just moved into my first house with a garden in London. Fantastic.

I have seen lots of birds - tits, blackbirds and so on. But no sparrows.
Anybody got any ideas about where all the sparrows are...

On the RSPB red list for endangered species :-(

Not because they have become rare but because they are declining very
rapidly - they've gone from 'outrageously common' to 'common' very
quickly. And I suppose the though is that if they keep declining this
quickly, it won't be long till they *are* rare.

It was also suggested recently that sparrows need a minimum number in
their social groups to be able to breed properly. The less birds there
are in a particular group, the less likely they are to breed
successfully, so the numbers reduce even further..., eventual leading to
the loss of the group.

Johanna