Old 17-10-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Maratime Pine. Inrformation required relating to cultivation in Scotland. Thanks

Sacha wrote:
On 17/10/06 00:21, in article ,
"Roger" wrote:

I have a great specimen of Pinus Maratima growing in my garden. I
grew it from seed from a cone which I brought back from the
southern area of Bordeaux.

It is now about 15 years old. I'm told that it is too far north
(I live in the central belt of Scotland) for it to produce
cones. Anyone here know if this information is accurate?

The cone from which the seed came from was 9" in length and 5"
across its broadest part. Give or take a quarter of an inch.

I don't know if this will help but an enquiry to them might. I got two
Pinus sylvestris from them and that's another name for Pinus maritima,
apparently.
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/courses.html

Surely P. sylvestris is the Scots/Caledonian pine? Maritime is (it says
here) P. pinaster. One of my books says the maritime pine grows, as an
introduction, in the Highlands; but none says anything about its
failing to fruit there. You can expect cones from trees ten years old,
apparently; fifteen years is within the margin of error for this kind
of thing, but it could be a sign that, as a Med species, it's too far
north.

If Agroforestry don't know, the Edinburgh Bot. Gardens may have mature
specimens you can eyeball (and it's an excuse to visit a great place).

--
Mike.