Old 17-10-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Winter squash question - When to pick

"Craig" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have spaghetti squash and butternut and pumpkin in my garden,
When should I pick these, I have read a lot about not to pick them
until after the first hard freeze etc.

Craig, don't let them stay out during a freeze. If you don't have too many,
you could take them inside during the cold spells, and back out during the
warm days. This will help them dry out inside. I try to leave them on the
vine until the vine dies, and turns brown, and if I can, I leave them on the
back porch in the sun for 10 days, as long as the temps stay above freezing.

I entered some of 2005's butternut and spaghetti in our fair in August of
this year. The spaghetti went bad around the end of Sept, but I still have
a butternut from last year.

I am in Colby, KS (about 240 miles East of you) and might have a little
longer growing season than you. I would think the same rules would apply to
both.

Dwayne