Old 17-10-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Wasps in the greenhouse

Mick Fournier wrote:
For the last year I have been using high intensity mind control to convince
the wasps in my neighborhood to build a nest in my greenhouse to control the
bugs on my plants.
Mick

That's interesting. For the past few years, I have tried to keep the
wasps out of the orchids. It's a love hate thing. They eat bugs and
spiders, but they also randomly sting the folliage on the plants. I
suppose they do it as a way to reduce the excess, but I can see them
while they do it. Touch the stinger down, deposit a drop of venom. I
can see a pin hole open on the leaf, die back to the diameter of a
pencil, leaving a small black circle on the leaf. It doesn't spread,
just looks ugly. For all I know, the acid may actually help the orchid
in some unknown way. I know orchids seem to like ants. The grooming,
loosening around the roots, and natural food deposits they leave for
the orchids. They are just kind of nasty to have around.

Nancy