Old 17-10-2006, 05:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] wdukes@fw.private.neotoma.org is offline

Default Are Apex soil and veg plants SAFE after fire?

On 2006-10-14, laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
Probably you have a cold. Baby chicks do die on their own sometimes.

That or it was a psychosomatic response...

No, woke up with a bad sore throat, don't watch TV and hadn't heard the
radio, so had no idea what had happened till I got worried calls from my
mother in FL and friends out west. Not a cold, because I had no further
symptoms such as runny nose, sore throat was gone in 2 days. I do have
asthma, even vehicle exhaust from driving to work in bad traffic bothers me.

Baby chicks do die, though not many die here (only one age group, and it was
4 out of 16, an unusually high percentage, usually I lose on average one in
every 50-80 chicks). The ones that died were broilers, which are my first,
maybe they are more delicate than my rare breeds.

And I DO live in Apex, the other side of US-1 from the fire. Smelled the
smoke in the air. Was glad there was a lot of rain to dilute whatever the
rain was bringing to earth.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

How far to the other side of US1? and what direction? Southwest,
south, Southeast? I would think south/southwest would be worse but...

I understand though that the smoke was following low lying areas which
is why they evacuated up to US64 which is more northeast of the fire.
Plus, the winds did not pickup until many hours after the fire.

Hope you have had no new potential reactions or lost any more chickens.

is a garbage address.